Wednesday, April 4, 2018

WE EAT | Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup


This is one of my absolute favorites. I grew up on pimiento grilled cheese and tomato soup (y’all are going to cringe but the canned stuff). I started my first garden in my mid twenties and had a surplus of tomatoes my first year - I’m still not sure why I thought it was a good idea to plant THREE tomato plants. As I was desperately searching for recipes that required tomatoes, I decided I’d try my hand at tomato soup. I remember thinking that it wouldn’t be as good as Campbell’s (lol!) but I’d give it a shot. The original recipe called for tomatoes, dried herbs and vegetable stock, and oh. my. word. Sooo much better than the canned stuff! I’ve tried a few variations over the years depending on how my tastebuds have changed but the basic concept has stayed the same.

It’s the beginning of April in Canada and the tomatoes from last summers garden are long gone. However, canned tomatoes are a great substitute and allow you to add in different flavor combinations that otherwise wouldn’t be available.

I LOVE the flavor of fire-roasted tomatoes but I don’t enjoy roasting and then peeling them. If I have fresh tomatoes then I use 2 pints of them along with 2 cans of fire-roasted tomatoes. If I don’t then I use a big can of diced tomatoes. You can’t go wrong either way! Sharp cheddar cheese and a fresh loaf of bread are delicious additions to the meal. Enjoy!


FIRE-ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
Servings: 4

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 cans fire-roasted tomatoes, in their juice
1 can (20 oz) of diced tomatoes, in their juice
1/3 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp Basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp flour
2 cups vegetable stock

Preheat the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in olive oil and onion. Cook 1 minute - onion will not be translucent. Add in celery and garlic, mixing occasionally. Cook 2 minutes. ***Note: I like the celery to have some crunch so that it gives the soup texture.

Add in the next 7 ingredients, mixing occasionally. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until mixture begins to boil. Add in vegetable stock to bring it to a soup consistency. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

a new chapter

  i have been loving writing about our life on here the last couple months but I really feel the pull to inspire and motivate ot...