Friday, April 13, 2018

Potty training: day 1 | Tynsleigh


Whew..... motherhood is not for the faint of heart. I mean, I already knew that but I sure was reminded something fierce of that today!

Today marked the first day of potty training for Tyns. After she woke up, I went in and picked her up from her crib and as I was kissing and telling her good morning we walked to the bathroom. I quickly told her, as I took her pants and diaper off that she was now a big girl and was going to start going on the potty. She resisted and cried a little bit. I didn’t expect this but I figured we were at the point of no return (kind of) and I wanted to see if we could push past this. 

I got her a cup of milk and we cuddled for a little bit (she was only in her jammie shirt). This calmed her down and she was happy to sit on the potty and read a book. I bought a few new books that will only be potty books for the next couple weeks and then she can have them on her shelf. No luck on going potty but I figured it wouldn’t be that easy. I left her without bottoms on for the first half of the day because I wanted to see as soon as she started going. I offered a TON of fuit, vegetables and fluids all morning. This was done to help encourage her to realize when she has to go and where she’s supposed to go.

 

The first time she started peeing on the floor, I picked her up and ran to the potty telling her to hold her pee because we were going to put it in the potty. Surprisingly, she held it and finished going on the potty. I told her how proud I was of her and we clapped our hands for her good job. I showed her how to wipe and I let her dump everything into the toilet and flush. She thought that was pretty cool lol. She also loved washing her hands in the sink every time. I did a potty dance after she went but she just kind of laughed and then left the bathroom to go play. Maybe clapping is enough for her but I do want to make sure there’s excitement in her going for these first couple weeks.

The second time she started going on the floor she burst into tears. I picked her up and did the same thing as before. After she finished going in the potty she started clapping and telling herself “yay” so I knew she understood what she was supposed to do. As the day went on, getting her to realize that she needed to go and then to hold it was much more challenging. I found myself timing how long it had been since she last peed and having her go sit on the potty. I’m not sure that was really the best course of action even though it made it easier with nursing/holding/rocking Morgan and I didn’t have a mess to clean up. I am going to try to not do that tomorrow and see if we can lengthen the recognition time.
 


A couple things I learned today:
1) Tynsleigh knows she needs/wants privacy to poop so she will leave the room while we’re playing and start to do her thang wherever she is.
2) Miss Smarty Pants will stall bedtime by not going to the bathroom for you even though you’re almost positive she should need to go. And yes, by 8:15 I said I didn’t even care anymore, she just needed to go to bed at that point. 

Hopefully she progresses in her learning tomorrow and I remember that it’s only day 2 of potty training for her, that she will make mistakes and that it will take time before she realizes she needs to potty and be able to make it there in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

a new chapter

  i have been loving writing about our life on here the last couple months but I really feel the pull to inspire and motivate ot...