Saturday, April 7, 2018

Solids: 1 Month In | Morgan

I’m not sure if there is another stage that overwhelms me more than starting a baby on solids. Don’t get me wrong...once my older daughter and I got in a groove I LOVED feeding her solids. But the uneasiness of where to begin, what to feed next and how to get her used to the textures left my mind in a whirlwind.


Let me first start by saying that I’m a teacher by trade and have no medical background- ZERO - so I am not giving out medical advice, I’m simply sharing my experience. The two big categories for baby solids seem to be puréed food and babyled weaning. In my opinion, one is not better than the other. The better option for each parent/child is the one that fits your lifestyle and you are comfortable with. Regardless of how you feed your child, FED is always best. Always. I started my older daughter on purées and switched to babyled weaning about two months in. I started Morgan with BLW at about 5 months. We don’t have known allergies in our family so I have been free to experiment a little. 

Her first food was avocado that I mashed up and fed her with a spoon. I also put a couple slices on her tray but she didn’t even try to grasp or pick them up. She ate a couple bites and made some hilarious faces at the difference in texture. I was able to get 2-3 spoonfuls in her mouth and to me, this is plenty these first few weeks. At this point, breast milk is still her predominant source of nutrition and the solids she will be trying don’t account for much of her dietary intake yet. It takes time for them to get used to the change in texture and get excited about what they’re eating. With my older daughter it took a solid 1-2 months of solids before she decided she liked them.

Foods Morgan has tried during her first month of BLW:

Avocado (mashed, spears)
Sweet potato (mashed)
Red potato (roasted and finely chopped, mashed)
Banana (whole, mashed)
Blueberries (quartered)
Apple (grated, roasted spears)
Pear (grated)
Tomatoes (homemade sauce, Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup)
Spaghetti squash (finely chopped)
Zucchini squash (spears, roasted)
Celery (boiled and finely chopped)
Beef pot roast (finely chopped)
Chicken (finely chopped)
Egg (scrambled)
Pasta (finely chopped)

I typically put a little of what we’re eating on the tray to encourage her to play/eat on her own and the rest I offer to her on a spoon. You may be thinking it sounds messy...and it is!! Babies are just messy though - there’s really no way around that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

a new chapter

  i have been loving writing about our life on here the last couple months but I really feel the pull to inspire and motivate ot...